In 2014, a pair of mated Bald Eagles chose the most idyllic of nest sites within the United States’ National Capital (Washington, DC), nestled high in a Tulip Poplar tree amongst the Azalea Collection at the U.S. National Arboretum, which is operated by the United States Department of Agriculture. This is the first Bald Eagle pair to nest in this location since 1947. The two Eagles have been iconically named ‘Mr. President’ and ‘The First Lady.’ Join us in viewing the most patriotic nest cam in the United States, 24 hours a day.
‘The First Lady’ laid her first egg of 2016 on February 10th, and laid her second egg on February 14th early in the morning. 'Freedom' (DC2) hatched at 8:27 a.m. March 18, 2016 Eastern Daylight Time. 'Liberty' (DC3) followed two days later, hatching March 20 at about 3:00 a.m. EDT.
Teachers who would like to set up a private chat for their class, please email email@example.com.
POSTING VIDEOS AND PHOTOS FROM AEF CAMS
AEF and USNA invites anyone to post photos and videos provided by these high definition cams. Since these photos can be copied and duplicated over and over, we request that when you post these up to Facebook, IG, Websites, Blogs, or another social media location, the following information be included at the end of your photo/video caption:
© 2016 American Eagle Foundation, EAGLES.ORG. We appreciate your cooperation!
THE DC EAGLE CAM PROJECT
After ‘Mr. President’ and ‘The First Lady’ raised one eaglet successfully in 2015, the 501(c)3 American Eagle Foundation partnered with the National Arboretum to install and stream two high definition video cameras from the top of the nest tree. The cameras are powered completely by a large mobile solar array that was designed and built by Alfred State College, SUNY College of Technology and was partially funded by the Department of Energy and Environment.
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
THE AMERICAN EAGLE FOUNDATION is a public 501(c)3 charitable organization. Contributions to the American Eagle Foundation are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. The AEF’s Tax ID Number is 58-1652023.
When you donate to the American Eagle Foundation, please include "DC EAGLE CAM" in the comment box at the bottom of the page so we can make sure to allocate 100% of your donation to the operating costs of this cam project. Donations help the AEF keep the program going, due to high streaming costs and camera maintenance.
CHAT Days / Times
ALL TIMES ARE EDT.
|Mon||8 pm to 10 pm|
|Tue||8 pm to 10 pm|
10 am to 12 noon
8 pm to 10 pm
10 am to 12 noon
8 pm to 10 pm
|Fri||10 pm to 12 midnight|
12 noon to 2 pm
8 pm to 10 pm
The extension _AEF after a username designates an AEF-authorized moderator who has been approved by the American Eagle Foundation to act on behalf of AEF in our Chat Room.
Only an AEF-authorized moderator will be permitted to use a name containing the extension _AEF. Unauthorized use of this extension will result in your being blocked.
Chat Rules and Guidelines
Help Us Make Our Chat Room Fun & Friendly!
- We ask all chat guests to be respectful, polite, and focused on eagles.
- First and foremost, the AEF DC Chat Room is a family and classroom friendly place and we ask that all chat guests respect the diversity of the room. Profanity, personal invective, or other inappropriate comments will not be tolerated. Disagreements might be unavoidable but should remain polite, and they should never become arguments. Chatting is a privilege, not a right. If your presence is disruptive or inappropriate, moderators (mods) can timeout, kick, or permanently ban chat abusers, and can delete inappropriate posts.
- We request that guest refrain from touching on politics, religion, sports, TV shows, personal medical issues, and other unrelated topics. Although we respect your political views, please do not post them in the main chat, since this is not a forum for political issues.
- We prefer that chatter focus on ‘Mr. President’ & ‘The First Lady’ and Bald Eagle questions and facts. We are aware that many of our chatters view other nests and like to share the news (eaglet hatchings et al), which is acceptable. However, please keep information from other nests to a minimum so we don’t confuse other chatters. If you feel the need to discuss other topics, please do so by using Private Messages (PMs).
- Due to how much space they take up in the chat window, we ask for Chat guests to not post strings of several emoticons, smileys, or random characters, either on a single line or in successive posts. We also prefer that guests not post in all caps, as it can sometimes be interpreted as YELLING.
- Our Moderators volunteer 100% of their time to this project. We kindly ask that chat guests respect the Mods, who are here to make sure all viewers have a good experience.
If you have questions about the Eagles and would like to have a more in-depth conversation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to have technical questions about Chat answered, or if you are having problems setting up an account, you may send an email to email@example.com. Thanks for visiting! Please tell your friends about us, and come back often.